Kenny Baker's "Glamour Manor" Show

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on October 31, 2002 at 07:23:52:

Has anyone ever heard of this show? I have one episode of it (with Jack Benny as a guest), and I was very impressed with it.
The show I heard was from ABC in 1946. It was a daytime sitcom heard Monday through Friday at noon!
The unique thing about Kenny's show is that it's every bit as well-presented as a nightime show. During this period there was a push by the major networks to present daytime programming that was comparable to the big prime-time shows. (NBC had a daily half-hour Fred Waring program that was as good, if not better, than the prime-time musical shows like "Your Hit Parade", "The Carnation Contented Hour", etc.)

What's also great about Kenny's daily sitcom is that even though it was broadcast several years after he left Jack's show, there was a definite tie-in to the Benny program...Don Wilson was the announcer (plugging Crisco and Ivory Snow) and Sam Hearn was heard as Schlepperman, who was Kenny's regular sidekick.
Also heard were Barbara Eiler as Kenny's girlfriend, Lois Corbett (Don Wilson's real-life wife) as Barbara's snobbish Aunt Jane and Harry Lubin's orchestra (a couple of years later Lubin's orchestra would be heard on Burns & Allen's "Maxwell House Coffee Time" program)...all performing in front of a full studio audience.
Kenny's "Glamour Manor" show (which took place in a fictional hotel of the same name) was a very pleasant surprise to listen to...A very polished production that was well-written, well-acted and just plain FUNNY! It was DOUBLY surprising that a show this good was broadcast in the middle of the day!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]