Re: I am VINDICATED!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByDavid M. Lynch on November 07, 2002 at 01:30:41:

In Reply to: I am VINDICATED!!!!! posted byLL on November 05, 2002 at 17:33:09:

: : The press book for "Casablanca" has an item, for release in newspapers, that says Our Jack can be seen very briefly in one scene of the Humphrey Bogart classic.
: =====================
: I knew this fact, but every time I told anyone, they looked at me like I was crazy. (Maybe they were right anyway.)

: Having reviewed the film multiple times for Jack's appearance, my best guess is the shot where Sam is singing "My Hair is Curly" (or whatever the proper title is), look to the viewer's left. That looks (to me) like Jack sitting at one of the tables.

: Always interested in hearing other theories on this.

: --LL

Well! (to coin a phrase) At least we're all in agreement as to when and where Jack appears, i.e. over "Sam's" right shoulder (on our left) during Dooley Wilson's musical bit which occurs about seven minutes into "Casablanca." But to clear up any confusion as to the actual number(s) being performed, the soundtrack CD to "Casablanca" (which didn't exist until 1997!) lists it as a medley of "It Had to Be You" and "Shine." Jack's brief appearance is during the segue from one song to another, when "Sam" is singing that his hair (Sam's, not Jack's!) is curly. By the way, although Dooley Wilson sang all of "Sam's" material (all of which was recorded "live" on the set, unlike the film's other musical numbers) it was Elliot Carpenter who actually played the piano.

Hmm. Wonder if the cigarette Jack was smoking was a Lucky? Ahh, it doesn't matter anyway, they weren't his sponsor yet!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]