Jack On Stage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on November 15, 2002 at 18:35:13:

In Reply to: Re: Major Benny Question - Anyone Know?? posted byBryan Olsen on November 15, 2002 at 14:57:41:

You can get a pretty good idea of what Jack was like "on stage" by watching the opening monologue portions of his live TV shows. (These are available from Shokus Video and other sources, but Shokus is the best place to look).
There are also videos of Jack hosting "The Hollywood Palace" from the 1960's.
On these shows you get to see Jack perform "in one"...on stage in front of a curtain, performing to a studio audience.
Forget the later filmed TV episodes with Jack performing to canned laughter....the timing and delivery just aren't the same!

What always impresses me about Jack on those live monologues is his stage presence and complete command of the audience. He jauntily strolls on stage to the tune of "Love In Bloom" and then talks to the people. It never sounds like he's reciting a "canned" monologue, but rather having a friendly chat with the audience....especially when he interrupts himself:

"But the one thing that I....Oh, and I MUST tell you about THIS, Ladies and Gentlemen..."

That's just the way someone sounds when they're talking with you and they suddenly think of something that they want to say.
Jack had a very natural, relaxed delivery, and I think that it really helped him to connect with his audience.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]