Re: Maybe I Can Help Here.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByMichael on November 18, 2002 at 03:29:24:

In Reply to: Maybe I Can Help Here..... posted byGerry O. on November 17, 2002 at 23:39:20:

: : I have a copy of Jack's TV show where he does a "talent show" at the end he did the bit with the judo expert. For whatever reason, I have never thought it was all that funny, even with Jack's reaction... so as the subject goes--> Am I missing something?

:
: I agree that on it's face value, the sight of a group of men beating and kicking a man, and then leaving him lying unconscious on the stage is not at all funny in itself....
: However, if put that act in the proper context of the show, it DOES become funny....

: Here was Jack going on and on talking about his "discovery" and how this guy could perform judo on a whole army of big tough guys....
: When the guys end up beating and kicking the stuffings out Jack's discovery, it makes JACK look like a total fool...but Jack REFUSES to admit it! Jack stares at the unconscious body of the judo "expert", then after a long pause (in which Jack is obviously thinking to himself, "Oh no...What do I do NOW???"), he turns to the studio audience and begins plugging next week's telecast of "Private Secretary" as if nothing had happened.

: You may still find the bit unfunny...even offensive, cruel or in generally poor taste, but Jack's refusal to admit his failure at judging talent seems to be the humor behind the whole thing.

I suppose you are right and I guess it is a matter of personal preference... however, I still find it not all that funny. I think the only reason I don't find it offensive is simply because it IS Jack. No one else could have gotten away with it. But I regard it as Jack's worst bit. Especially after such wonderful moments like the Landrew Sisters and "Stanley Gropff" (excuse me :) )

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]