Hadn't heard that before

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByBarbara T. on November 30, 2002 at 17:33:03:

In Reply to: Re: First time Jack Benny was on radio?? posted byMichael on November 30, 2002 at 16:37:35:

I had never heard that Jack spoke on radio in 1930, but I'm not terribly surprised. True, he got his professional start in radio with Ed Sullivan in 1932, but he had done stage and movie work before that. I would guess he might have appeared as sort of a master-of-ceremonies which he did so well.: : Hello. I guess nobody was able to answer my question about whether Kenny Baker started on KGER or KFOX radio in Long Beach, so I'll submit this question and information I have.

: : When was the first time that Jack Benny spoke over the radio? I had always heard that it took place in 1932 on a nationally broadcast program hosted by newspaper columnist Ed Sullivan from New York.

: : But, in doing some of my radio history research of early radio in Southern California, I see that Jack took part in a radio broadcast in 1930 in Los Angeles, over Hollywood station KFWB (owned by Warner Brothers Pictures). This was 2 years before he did the Sullivan radio show.

: : I'll quote from the ad printed in the Los Angeles Times on April 26, 1930:

: : "Tune in Tonight! Hear Eddie Cantor, Al Jolson, Jack Benny, Benny Rubin, George Olsen, Abe Lyman, Ben Bernie, and scores of other stars of the stage and screen.

: : One of the greatest arrays of talent ever paraded before the microphone is offered you tonight when the
: : National Vaudeville Association Benefit Show will be
: : broadcast from Shrine Auditorium over KFWB, starting at
: : 8:30 p.m. Dont miss it!

: : Program broadcast through the courtesy of Packers of MJB Coffee"

: : What would Jack have done on this program? His vaudeville act? And would this have been different than the Jack Benny we became familiar with through his later radio and TV programs on his own shows?

: : Jim Hilliker
: : Monterey, CA

: I am wondering if Jack really did anything on this show or even if he was actually on it? I am basing this on a 1967 broadcast of the Ed Sullivan show on which Jack made an appearance. Jack himself says that he got his start on Sullivan's show in 1932 (was celebrating the 35th anniversary of his radio debut [67-35=32]). It very well could be that Jack was scheduled perform in the 1930 broadcast, but had to cancel at the last minute.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]