Re: help on jack

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on January 07, 2003 at 12:54:45:

In Reply to: help on jack posted bykatie on January 06, 2003 at 17:14:08:

: Hey, I'm Katie, and I'm doing a report on Jack Benny. I'm just wondering if anyone could post some thoughts about the impression that Jack left on the world. Any comments will be very appreciated. Thanks a lot, and have a nice day lol.
========================
Hi Katie,

This may be a little more philosophical than you want, but here goes. I think there are two kinds of people: people who make a generally positive impact on the world, people who make a generally negative impact on the world. This may be as localized as the person who always helps their neighbors, or makes people smile.

Jack not only had a generally positive impact, but extended his reach all over the world. He not only made his neighbors smile (ask Lucie Arnaz Jr.), but he made millions of people smile and laugh. Further, it was humor that made us laugh at ourselves, not derisive or derrogatory of any person or group. Moreover, Jack was a well-loved human being by just about everyone who knew him, and he was careful not to indulge in the de-rigeure gossip and backstabbing of the entertainment industry. Such a rare commodity in Hollywood...and even any town. He also gave generously of his time and money to various philanthropic purposes, including raising over $6 million to save and help orchestras around the world.

Jack has many legacies: the symphonies that owe him a debt, the warm memories of the people who knew him, the warm memories of the people who knew him only as a voice on the radio or face on the television making them feel good. And his work continues to make people feel good today, and as long as we have recorded sound.

Who could ask for anything more?

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]