Re: What's your second favorite OTR show??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry allen on March 17, 2003 at 03:30:39:

In Reply to: Re: What's your second favorite OTR show?? posted byben on March 17, 2003 at 01:20:18:

: I've been spending quite a bit of time searching around and sampling the multitude of OTR. Boy, the second favorite? That's reaLLY hard to pinpoint. Some suggestions of shows tht I've enjoyed quite a bit are "Life of Riley" "Burn & Allen" "Great Gildersleves" and "Abbott and Costello" for sheer laughs. "Our Miss Brooks" and "Halls of Ivy" for a more sublte humor. Suspense is always good, as is the impressive adaptations of the LUX radio theater. This is basically the 40s version of the latest DVD release. They would do an hour adaptation of the various popular films of that time, many with someof the origional stars.
: Check out some of the serials, too. Superman is always fun.
: Heck, just roam around the web and download anything that is a free sample. You might get turned on to a lesser known series like "Pat Novak for Hire", "Duffy's Tavern" "Adventures of Masie", "I love a mystery", "Escape" and "The Cinnamon Bear"
: Enjoy

: my #2 raido show behind Jack Benny is Fred Allen. while he might not be everyone's cup of tea, listening to his show is like a history lesson for me. dealing with topical humor as Fred did, the jokes are only funny to someone like me, a nostalgia buff, who has a feel for what an audience laughed at back then. also, because it was the '30s and '40s, i appreciate the daring of Fred to tackle the sponsors and corporate America the way he did. it was pretty controversial. heck, even today hardly anyone who hosts a talk-show lampoons it's own sponsors... so Fred might as well be a unique fixture in OTR. to make a long story short, Fred Allen is my second favorite OTR radio show.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]