Re: Jack's TV Closing Theme

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByMichael on March 19, 2003 at 19:41:28:

In Reply to: Jack's TV Closing Theme posted byGerry O. on March 19, 2003 at 07:05:58:

: Whether it's called "Jefferson Fox, I Love You" or "J and M Stomp", I LOVE that closing music!
: It's such a catchy tune, and it's always played so lively.

: The earliest Benny TV shows (which were live kinescopes) used the Lucky Strike "Be Happy, Go Lucky" tune as it's closing theme music, but after a couple of seasons the "Jefferson Fox/J and M Stomp" tune was used.

: It's funny, but when I receive a new video of a Benny TV show that I've never seen before, if the closing theme is the early "Be Happy, Go Lucky" theme, I feel disappointed....even if the program itself was a GREAT show!

: A thought on the tune's title:

: At various times during the Benny radio show (usually during the late "Jell-O", early "Grape-Nuts Flakes" era), the "opening commercial" orchestra number would be a tune composed by the orchestra's arranger Mahlon Merrick. (Even though Phil Harris was still "fronting" the orchestra, by this time Mahlon was doing most of the behind-the-scenes musical work on the show).
: Many of these songs were given makeshift titles...some of which I think were given strictly for "laugh" purposes. I often hear familiar tunes which were later known as something else...but when Don Wilson announces them on the show, he gives them silly-sounding titles like "The Vine Street Viggle", "Goodbye Broadway, Hello Figaroa Street", etc....and usually when he says the title, there's a big "inside" laugh from the orchestra members (and possibly cast members).
: The "closing theme" tune could have been called "Jefferson Fox, I Love You" for that one-shot Benny "Grape-Nuts Flakes" radio show, but when the tune was selected as Jack's permanent TV closing theme song, the title could have been changed to the more sensible "J and M Stomp".

Thank you for putting me straight on the show title :)

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]