A Thought On Steve Martin and Jack Benny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on March 25, 2003 at 09:15:09:

While watching Steve Martin hosting the Academy Awards on Sunday night, I couldn't help but think of Jack Benny, and how Steve's career has become very similar to Jack's:

1. Both Steve and Jack held up very well through the years...not only physically (Steve looks about the same as he did 20 years ago), but also in their type of comedy. Like Jack, Steve has never tried to be "topical", but rather has created a self-depreciating character who delivers many of his comedy lines with a deadpan facial expression...and he ends up being the butt of many of his own jokes.

2. While many of Steve's 1970's and 80's comedy peers, who were "cool and hip" in their heyday, had comedy styles and material which appear dated and out of touch with today's audiences, Steve's comedy still goes over well with present-day audiences.
During Jack's career, there were other radio, TV and film comedians who enjoyed brief periods of great fame and popularity, only to be soon followed by public boredom and apathy. However, Jack remained popular through the years (and even DECADES), and continued to be a popular comedian right up to the time of his death. This is how I see Steve's career going.

Steve Martin's style of comedy may not be your personal cup of tea, but hopefully you can see my point in comparing Steve's longevity in comedy popularity to Jack's.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]