Re: What's your second favorite OTR show??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByFrev on March 27, 2003 at 11:40:19:

In Reply to: What's your second favorite OTR show?? posted byMike on March 16, 2003 at 20:33:30:

: The only OTR shows I know with any depth are "The Jack Benny Show," "Suspense," and, to a lesser degree, "You Bet Your Life." (I've also heard a lot of the "CBS Radio Mystery Theater," but I guess that's more "NTR" than "OTR.") Anyways, I'm trying to discover some other radio classics: who do you suggest? Fred Allen? Burns and Allen? The Shadow?

I have several favorites myself, but if besides Jack there was another comedy show I could always enjoy listenting to it's Fibber McGee & Molly. I love the folksyness of the show and the obvious love and affection that's evident between Jim & Marion Jordan and the rest of the cast. The Shadow comes in third as my favorite mystery show, especially the early Orson Welles Shadow programs.

For a British twist, I'm a huge fan of The Goon Show from the 1950's, which started the careers of Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe and was a major inspiration for Monthy Python. The humor is very bizarre and cerebal, but it never fails to get me laughing with it's verbal surrealism and cartoonyness. Definitely worth a listen.

Frev

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]