Re: The Radcliffe And Gilroy Characters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByMichael on April 07, 2003 at 23:32:36:

In Reply to: Re: The Radcliffe And Gilroy Characters posted byGerry O. on April 07, 2003 at 22:37:02:

: : This episode (don't remember title) has Jack and Mary eating at a diner across from the studio. Jack wants an chocolate soda with an egg in it and Gilroy and Radcliffe, the waiters, refuse to crack open the egg for him. It seems like these 2 male characters are a bit on the gay side (was this unintentional?) If it was meant on purpose, that is somewhat of a forward thinking move, don't you think?

:
: Surprisingly, stereotyped characters of this type popped up on various radio comedy shows throughout the 1930's and 40's.

: Charlie Cantor (the same actor who played dumb-guy Clifton Finnegan on "Duffy's Tavern") portrayed a very effiminate character with a high-pitched voice on Fred Allen's show from time to time. In fact, Cantor played this same character as a feminine-acting floorwalker in a Christmas shopping sketch when Jack did a Jell-O show from NYC in 1938. That's the floorwalker who gets mad at Jack and snaps, "Oh, go back to Hollywood and squeeze an orange!".

: As far back as 1937, Benny Baker appeared on Jack's show as an effiminate interior decorator. When Jack asked him if he ever used crepe de sheen, Baker gushed, "Oh, just OODLES of it!".

: And of course, Joe Besser would show up on various programs doing his "big sissy" character....and sometimes he really "went over the top" with it.

: In those "Pre-Politically Correct" days, such characters usually received BIG laughs from the studio audience on those shows.

This episode you've mentioned just so happens to be one of my favorites :) As far as I can tell... the episode is entitled "The Lunch Counter" and was done 1/15/39. Yes I know it was done later... but I think this is the first time it was done

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]