Harry Shearer's Warm Words

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByKen Donlon on April 24, 2003 at 19:35:33:

The actor/writer/comedian/ Harry Shearer had some nice things to say about JB in an online interview with Onion magazine. Shearer appeared on both the radio and tv shows as a child. Was he one of the Beverly Hills Beavers? Here's ane excerpt from the interview

Harry Shearer: .....Then she called one day and had an audition for me for The Jack Benny Program, and I went in and got it. That was it. It was like being in heaven. I loved the show as a listener, and now I was walking through the looking glass. As a kid, I really did want to hang out with the grownups, so it was hanging out with the hippest grownups in the world. This was the nicest bunch of people I've worked with in show business, with the exception of the people around A Mighty Wind. It really was a wonderful eight years.

O: Were you intimidated to be working with Jack Benny?

HS: No, because he wasn't an intimidating person. He was very warm and approachable. I started doing his radio show first, and then did his television show. And after the third show, he came up to me and my parents and gave us a vinyl disc of the show we'd just finished doing, and hugged me, and hugged my mom. Nothing intimidating went on there. There was a high level of professionalism. He was a guy who dug the idea of other people on the show getting laughs, which sort of spoiled me for other people in comedy. I have a very strong visual memory of the first time I made him laugh. That was remarkable. I was like, "Oh, God, I just made Jack Benny laugh." I also had a friend there, and when there were problem moments, he'd help me out. And that was Mel Blanc, because I always used to sit next to Mel Blanc when we'd do the shows. When you have Jack Benny on one side and Mel Blanc on the other, you're not going to go far wrong.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]