Benny's...boat?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on July 06, 2003 at 05:28:34:

Hi folks,

Here's a little mystery for you. I was recently contacted about a boat called "La Jota" which supposedly belonged to Jack. I asked Joan about it, and the only boat she ever recalled was the rowboat in their backyard pool. So I have serious doubts that the boat belonged to Jack, but may have belonged to one of his associates (Eddie Anderson?) or another of his contemporaries. Here's the information I have:

"Today I learned more about La Jota - It was designed by a frenchman named Mercer as a one-off and built in San Pedro in 1921. It was named La Jota after Jack Benny's writer as it translates in Spanish as " The Joker". Jack's writer was also of Basque descent and La Jota is a happy traditional Basque dance.

"In WWII the boat was commissioned by the Navy as an officers booze cruize between Tiajuanna and San Diego and was painted all gray and carried torpedos. The 65' boat is now berthed on E dock of the Sausalito Yacht Harbor.

"From the looks of her she needs a lot of work. I understand that she is listed with the Classic Yacht Association."

Any thoughts on who the comedian with the Basque writer might be? While the Basque region was known for being a heavily Jewish area before the Inquisition, I think most (if not all) of Jack's Jewish writers were from Eastern European backgrounds. And I don't think that George or John or Bill were of Basque origin.

Any information or guesses are welcomed!

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]