Re: Jerome Wallington?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on July 15, 2003 at 08:24:25:

In Reply to: Jerome Wallington? posted byJ. W. Walker on July 15, 2003 at 00:49:32:

: Was there ever an announcer on the Jack Benny radio or TV show by the name of Jerome Wallington? I am trying to find out who I was named after - I recently found my 75 yr old biological father and was told by him that I was named after a radio announcer. J.W. Walker

I never heard of "Jerome" Wallington, but there WAS a very famous radio announcer named JAMES (most of the time referred to as "Jimmy") Wallington. ("Jerome" may have been his real first name).

While never connected with Jack Benny on a regular basis, Mr. Wallington WAS the regular announcer for Eddie Cantor during the 1930's and Fred Allen during Fred's "Texaco Star Theatre" era (1940-1944).
At various times Mr. Wallington also did the radio announcing duties on "Screen Director's Playhouse", "Duffy's Tavern", "The Life Of Riley" and Tallulah Bankhead's "The Big Show" (when the show was broadcast from Hollywood).

He was a great announcer with an authoritative voice and manner...and he could really pitch the sponsor's product!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]