Re: Remembering

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on July 29, 2003 at 21:47:02:

In Reply to: Re: Remembering posted byGerry O. on July 28, 2003 at 23:51:41:

: : : i heard that this morning on Fox News Channel. one thing is puzzling to me is when Milton Berle passed away,"Mr. Television", i didn't hear about it UNTIL two days later! i watched the late local news and at the end of the newscast they ran a little blurb about Berle and that was it.
: : =====================
: : Compare that to Jack, who got extensive tributes on both NBC and CBS television, several radio stations and networks, and front page, four- or six-column headlines about his death. I wonder if part of that was the fact that Jack was active until almost the end of his life. Berle had been in declining health for a while, and didn't get his due.

: : While Bob has been fragile for some years now, I hope that people will still give him the recognition he deserves. I have a feeling that the largest platoon ever in the great beyond is now welcoming him with smart salutes and open arms.

: : --LL

: Yes, that's a good point about Jack...when he passed away he was still active and in the public eye with TV specials, talk show appearances, etc.
: His death came as a complete shock to the world....most people didn't know how ill he had been, and the media and public alike reacted almost as if a man of 40 had just died.

: Speaking of famous passings, I was quite surprised at the media coverage and public reaction when George Burns died....For some reason I kept getting the impression that George's death was treated as "no big deal" and not given the coverage and attention that it deserved. I could be wrong on that, but that's how the general reaction to George's death impressed me.

::: i remember CNN and particularly Larry King doing a show about George Burns...the other night they did a show about Bob Hope and the guest list was Jane Russell, Art Linkletter, Wayne Newton, Phyllis Diller, Connie Stevens, Nancy Sinatra, and by way of the telephone, Nancy Reagan. Bob's daughter was on Larry King the following night. here's another legend that i loved who didn't get much press when they passed away: Red Skelton. i continue to watch the home videos and DVDs that have been released about him.

But, i'm surprised that Bob Hope's passing was AS widely covered as it was. CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and all the morning news programs on both cable and network set aside tributes to him. The reason i was surprised is because in this microwave generation {meaning the people who want instant results and instant gratification} Hope's absence from the national media since the mid '90s i thought had a bad effect on him with the Clinton audience. Hope kept himself in the public eye like Jack Benny. I read somewhere that Bob's TV specials were the highest rated programs of NBC from the '50s to the '90s...

so, the other fan is also correct with regards to durability. Both Bob Hope and Jack Benny remained busy until their health interrupted them. In the case of Jack Benny, i think the fact that his cause of death was so unheard of at the time {i saw a Biography that stated that not even the doctors could figure out what was wrong with him} it stunned the world...

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]