Re: Hope's and Benny's writers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on August 02, 2003 at 22:52:13:

In Reply to: Hope's and Benny's writers posted byBobR on August 02, 2003 at 20:53:45:

: I have often read that Bob Hope's writers were often humiliated by their boss ie."folding up their paychecks into paper airplanes and tossing them to his writers" whereas Jack's writers were treated with respect and dignity.I believe as a result, Sam Perrin (I could be mistaken ) left Hope for Benny.

It has often been noted how many comedians were not especially kind to their writers. Jackie Gleason and Milton Berle could be BRUTAL, and Red Skelton would publically knock his writers on his program...If a joke bombed, Skelton would look at the camera and ad-lib a crack like "The guy who wrote THAT joke can start cleaning out his desk NOW!".

Jack was one of the few comedians who really appreciated his writers...another was Sid Caesar. Caesar could be tough as nails to work for, but he knew the high calibre of writing talent that "Your Show Of Shows", and the later "Caesar's Hour" had, and he respected them accordingly. As a result, Caesar was able to attract the very best TV comedy writers who stayed with him season after season...and that group included "kids" like Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Woody Allen, Larry ("M*A*S*H") Gelbart and Danny ("Barney Miller")Arnold!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]