Re: Best years of the radio show?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on August 07, 2003 at 07:08:57:

In Reply to: Re: Best years of the radio show? posted byBT@innocent.com on December 11, 2002 at 01:20:29:

: Thanks for the reply.

: Yes, those late-'40s, early 'fifties shows have been where I've focused the most attention (I bought one of those large mp3 collections on ebay). They're great.

: Anybody else have a view on this?

: i think as a whole, there was never a "bad" season. some shows were hilarious while others were amusing...but never a dull episode. having said that, find myself listening to the early days of his feud with Fred Allen, around 1936 or 1937 when it was underway. i also love the era where supporting players such as Frank Nelson, Mel Blanc, Sheldon Leonard, and Benny Rubin were featured with much more consistency {the Lucky Strike run to be specific}. The episode with William Paley is one of my favorites: Jack and Paley go to the race track. Frank Nelson is the waiter who advises Jack not to sit and a certain table because "it's been scratched". Earlier Sheldon Leonard's tout character bumps into Jack and advises him to buy bubble gum instead of Chicklets. Jack asks why and the tout says something like: "Chicklets are boxed in; think it over, bud, take bubble gum...it's great in the stretch..." you get the point with all the race-track references and terms. But out of all the years, Lucky Strike: LSMFT, is the one i'm the most fond about.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]