Re: Vergil Reimer/Mr. Kitzel

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByWayne in Portland on August 18, 2003 at 21:43:16:

In Reply to: Re: Vergil Reimer/Mr. Kitzel posted bykurt on March 04, 2003 at 12:56:16:

: There WAS a sound man named Virgil Reimer, but on the Benny program, the character was played by Frank Nelson.

: Jack first met Mr. Kitzel at the Rose Bowl game, selling peeckles in teh middle with the mustard on top, just the way you like 'em and they're always hoooooooooot!

: Mr. Kitzel was a throwback to the stock character of the Jewish peddler. I've not seen this written before, but I think he was intended to be the Benny program's version of Pansy Nussbaum from Allen's Alley. He was certainly a successor to Schlepperman, the Jewish character who appeared on Benny's program in the 1930s.

: Another astute poster to this site has observed that Artie Auerbach, who played Mr. Kitzel, played many similar types on other radio programs, notably Abbott & Costello.

Remember the show in which Jack takes the Bevery Hills Beavers to the circus & runs in him everywhere they go? I always wondered if Mel Blanc might have been his voice or not.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]