Re: McCarthy and the Hollywood Blacklist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on October 13, 2003 at 14:13:46:

In Reply to: Re: McCarthy and the Hollywood Blacklist posted byMichael on October 13, 2003 at 11:29:57:

I have a funny and TRUE story about the Hollywood Blacklist...

During the early 1950's my father (who was in his late teens) worked for a local grocer who was an absolute FANATIC about the McCarthy-driven "Commie Threat" in America. This grocer had printed pamphlets that he would force onto his employees. My dad would take the pamphlets, bring them home, stuff them in a drawer and forget about them.

Years later my grandfather (my father's father) died and we were going through some old bureau drawers...and we found some of those old pamphlets....

One pamphlet was printed on red paper, and listed "suspicious" people in show business and literature who were suspected of being Communists or Communist sympathizers....people like Judy Holliday, Zero Mostel, John Garfield, Larry Parks and others....

Then there was a GREEN pamphlet which listed safe "Loyal American" entertainers....people like Bing Crosby, Roy Rogers, Kate Smith, Edgar Bergen, Charlie McCarthy, etc....but CHARLIE McCARTHY was a wooden VENTRILOQUIST'S DUMMY, and this pamphlet seriously listed him as if he were a REAL PERSON! I almost fell off the couch laughing when I saw that!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]