Re: CBS-75th anniversary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on November 05, 2003 at 08:33:52:

In Reply to: Re: CBS-75th anniversary posted byMichael on November 04, 2003 at 22:05:52:

: : Although this recently aired program gave a fair review of the television broadcasts of the past, I thought the radio broadcasts acknowledgements were inadequate.Nothing was mentioned of the Benny radio broadcasts and the TV remembrances were only so,so. Any other thoughts?

: While I do agree with what you have said, I get the feeling that they they could have devoted at least an hour just to the radio years of CBS... let alone the TV years...

Unfortunately, the attitude of the now-current network executives seems to be: "Who cares about that really OLD stuff? That happened so long ago...Nobody's around now who remembers it!".
That's why now the "Nostalgia Shows" are 1970's programs like "All In The Family", "Mary Tyler Moore", etc. instead of shows from the 1950's and 60's.

Actually, I'm surprised that the special acknowledged "prehistoric" greats like Jack Benny, Burns & Allen, Gleason, etc. as much as it DID! (And when CBS showed footage of Amos N' Andy...and actually ADMITTED to ever having broadcast it (and not in a negative way)...I almost fell out of my chair! I have to give the network "points" on THAT one!).

I just wish that these "historic" retro specials dealt more with the EARLY history of broadcasting, instead of just spotlighting "pop culture" hits from the past couple of decades that most everyone remembers watching.

Oh well, the special COULD have been worse...at least they didn't spend the entire 3 hours gushing over "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "CSI"!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]