Re: Abuse for JB?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on November 28, 2003 at 10:58:46:

In Reply to: Abuse for JB? posted byLL on November 27, 2003 at 16:19:37:

Unfortunately, many people who are avid fans or collectors of ANYTHING that is off the beaten track of present-day mainstream "culture" (and that includes everything from old-time radio shows to silent films to even not-so-old TV shows like "Wings") are subject to this type of abuse/ridicule.

What I have found is that it's usually best to share one's enthusiasm for such things with other people who are similarly interested in the person/show/film, etc.

People who are NOT interested in your "passion" simply do not understand it...and quite frankly, some of them are probably very JEALOUS that you have something in your life that interests you so much. (In fact, I find that the "jealousy" angle is usually what prompts the hostile, ridiculing comments....if they weren't JEALOUS, they would probably just let your enthusiastic discussions go in one ear and out the other, without feeling the need to get nasty about it).

I have resigned myself to the fact that most people who I come into contact with on a day-to-day basis have no interest in (or even a basic KNOWLEDGE of) the fine work of Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Eddie Cantor and others.

It's truly a sad state of affairs, but that's why we have message boards and forums like THIS one...so we CAN discuss and share our enthusiasm with people who DO share, appreciate and respect our interest!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]