OTR Shows In Other Media

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on November 29, 2003 at 03:27:54:

In Reply to: Re: Abuse for JB? posted byMichael on November 28, 2003 at 22:49:07:

: Is it me or does having an interest in OTR make the Old Bugs Bunny Cartoons seem funnier? (I have my own opinion on this but would like to hear from the rest of you) :-) )

Oh YES! There are so many catch-phrases from then-popular OTR shows in the Warner Bros. cartoons....in fact, some Warners cartoons are out-and-out spoofs of OTR shows (like the Sniffles The Mouse cartoon "Hush My Mouse", which features the "Duffy's Tavern" characters as alley cats).

I remember being in college during the late 1970's and watching a 16mm print of the WWII-era Warners cartoon "Daffy The Commando". There's a scene where a crow, who is a Nazi Commandant, picks up a ringing phone and says (in a German accent), "Oh, is that YOU, Myrt?" (from "Fibber McGee & Molly").
This cartoon was being screened on the college campus, and when that "Myrt" line hit, I was the ONLY person (in an auditorium filled with college students) who laughed out loud!

So YES, having a knowledge of OTR programs DOES help you to appreciate other forms of entertainment which may refer to OTR shows for catch-phrases and characters.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]