Re: Abuse for JB?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByWoolrich on December 06, 2003 at 12:54:52:

In Reply to: Abuse for JB? posted byLL on November 27, 2003 at 16:19:37:

: So I'm standing in the corporate cafeteria yesterday talking with one of my customers, and a coworker walks up and butts into the conversation. He proceeds to point at me and say that my research regarding Jack Benny has become the inside joke of the department, and that they make fun of it all the time. It was done in a sort of sneering, ridiculing fashion.

Having worked for a large corporation for the past 5 years, I'll simply state that the average "corporate type" would be a profoundly unimaginative, utterly matter-of-fact type, who also has the nasty trait of being very much a "climber" who will seize on any small perceived difference or oddity about a co-worker in order to make themselves look better or superior. It's for that reason I hate working for a large corporation (but am driven to do so by economic necessity). It's also for that reason that I leave my hobbies at home. Of course, anyone who glances around my office may see the Raymond Scott or Bix Beiderbecke CD's and occasionally, when I don't bother to leave to go to lunch, they might see me reading a copy of BUSTER KEATON: CUT TO THE CHASE or the like, but I usually brush aside any questions as being more trouble than they're worth.

At home, it's a different story: silent films, OTR, vintage genre fiction books (mostly horror and mysteries), tube radios, and the like. Fortunately, my wife (who has had a number of years to grow accustomed to my odd hobbies) is originally from outside the U.S., dislikes most modern American pop culture intensely, and has actually taken to some of the same things I like, especially silent comedies and older "B" sound films from the thirties through the sixties. I guess I have a willing accomplice.

(This is my first post here, although I've visited the board before. I'm a huge fan of Jack Benny and have even managed to sit through THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929.)

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]