Re: Could It Be....?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByTom Wagner on December 22, 2003 at 12:56:00:

In Reply to: Could It Be....? posted byGerry O. on December 22, 2003 at 07:41:22:

: : : I am looking for a Sportsmen Quartet recording of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas". I don't know how many arrangements they recorded but there is only version that I want.

: : : I will apprecieate any help you can give me.

: : : Thank you :)

: : Ralph,
: : I am a collector of recordings (and memorablia) of The Sportsmen Quartet and have many recordings by the group. I have many Christmas songs they recorded but I have NOT run across any recordings of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". HOWEVER, I do have a recording of "Twas" by The Mellomen, which featured two former members of the Sportsmen (Max Smith and Thurl Ravenscroft). Might that be the recording you're thinking of? Do you know what year the recording you're thinking of might be from?

: : I'd like to help if I can.

: : Tom

: ---------------------------------------------

: Is it possible that you're thinking of the "Twas The Night Before Christmas" recording that was made by The King's Men (who were the singing quartette on "Fibber McGee & Molly")? They performed a special Ken Darby-arranged version of "Twas The Night..." each year on the "Fibber & Molly" program, and they also recorded a very successful commercial 78 rpm recording of it.

: Because both "The Sportsmen" and "The King's Men" had a "close harmony" sound, is it possible that you're confusing the two groups?

Gerry,
I suppose it could be The King's Men version or The Mellomen's version (for Capitol records) he's referring to. I have many Christmas recordings by the Sportsmen and I know nothing of a recording of "Twas the Night Before Christmas".

Tom

Ralph- Where did you hear this recording?

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]