Jack and "Real Life" Humor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on December 26, 2003 at 07:34:40:

In Reply to: Re: Bossy Spouses posted byLL on December 24, 2003 at 20:02:58:

: An interesting theory, and not one I'd considered previously. Jack's mother does seem to have been a pretty strong woman (the few photographs of her look pretty intimidating), and I am told that Jack's father had very little sense of humor (except for his son's work, of course). I have often been interested how Jack, with such a finely -honed understanding of comedy, timing, editing, and all things connected to it came out of a house that was definitely not full of laughter.

----------------------------------------

Something to consider is that Jack looked at comedy as a business....He wasn't one of those comedians who was always "on" in real life.

It's often been noted that while guys like George Burns, Groucho Marx and George Jessel would be flinging one-liners and generally cutting up at parties and Hillcrest lunches, Jack was usually a quiet spectator. He was a GREAT audience, and would laugh himself breathless at a good gag told by someone else, but from all reports he seems to have been a bit more serious and low-key as compared to his Friar's Club counterparts.

I'm not saying that Jack didn't have a good sense of humor....He DID, but he just seemed to be a lot more reserved in real life than many other comedians from his era.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]