Jack's "Other" TV Closings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on December 31, 2003 at 01:25:33:

On most of Jack's later half-hour TV programs (from the early 1960's), I've noticed something strange about the closing "tag"....

Jack will be standing on stage telling one last gag...The audience will laugh, and then the scene seems to cut. The audience laughter will end abruptly, and Jack will stand there for a brief second in complete silence...then he says, "Good-night folks, I'll be seeing you soon", and he walks off the stage while the audience applauds.

These "I'll be seeing you soon" closings were added when the shows went into reruns, and they replaced the original closings. I've seen original network versions of some of these shows, and Jack will close by saying things like, "Good-night folks, I'll be seeing you next week for Lipton Tea" or "Good-night folks, I'll be seeing you next week for General Foods"...and the network "tags" are one seamless take, without that awkward "cut" at the end.

Does anyone have any info on these generic "rerun" closings? Were they filmed at the same time as the original network closings? (They appear to have been, since Jack wears the same clothes in both versions).

If they WERE filmed at the same time as the sponsored, network versions, it shows great forsight on the part of Jack and his staff, since they were basically prepping each episode for the future rerun market by having the generic "I'll be seeing you soon" closings "on file" for future use.

Any background info on these TV closings would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]