Re: Jack's "Other" TV Closings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on December 31, 2003 at 23:54:44:

In Reply to: Re: Jack's "Other" TV Closings posted bykurt on December 31, 2003 at 16:33:33:

: You answered your own question. The new cut-ins (although, by your observation, not exactly seamlessly inserted) were made for later broadcasts either in a network TV package or for syndication.

: Filmed programs were an asset out of which the performer/owners (Lucy and Desi, Jackie Gleason, et. al.) would squeeze every last dollar in rerun packages. Except that Gleason couldn't do it with kinescoped Homeymooners sketches since the technical quality wasn't up to broadcast standards. He didn't let them loose until there was sufficient demand and he was offered what he thought was a sufficient amount of money (Gleason always preferred cash up front rather than complicated back-end deals, it has been written.)

: To me, the original endings with the names of the original sponsors are better, but that's because I'm used to listening to Jack accompanied by Jell-O or Lucky Strikes. The commercial was a seamless part of the comedy. Take it out, and you've gutted the program.

: The practice went into the 1960s on TV. Next time you see the end of the opening credits on The Beverly Hillbillies, notice that they all seem to be pointing to something at the same time. They're pointing at, and then drive by, a billboard for either Kellogg's Corn Flakes or Winston cigarettes, and the jaunty banjo-plucking theme song would segue into the Kellogg's or the Winston's theme. ("Win-STUUUUUUNS taste good, like a -- pluck-pluck -- cigarette should!")

: Filmed cut-in commercials (usually for cigarettes) with sitcom casts were done with the Hillbiliies, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, and even the Flintstones.

: But I digress.

i've never understood why commercials had to be cut out from the original program. On PBS in the late '90s they used to air Red Skelton's show and the actual commercials ran...Norge was one of the sponsors...on Game Show Network once i saw a classic show called "Two for the Money" and i don't know if it was accidental but the actual original commercial for Old-Gold cigarettes ran instead of the station cutting into it with a contemporary commercial. i can't get PBS with this satellite system...it's not carried by the satellite company they say. the same holds true for Boomerang, where all the good cartoons air.

but i wouldn't be surprised that Jack planned ahead. wasn't he one of the first comedians to transcribe their radio show when Mary stopped appearing and they had someone else play her part for the live audience while the real Mary dubbed her voice for the broadcast?

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]