Re: An Odd Question (Observation)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on January 01, 2004 at 00:19:42:

In Reply to: Re: An Odd Question (Observation) posted byLL on December 31, 2003 at 02:04:58:

: : I just listened to a Jack Benny broadcast from April 2, 1950 tonight. The guest star was Al Jolson. I did a little research, and found out Jolson died later that year. Indeed, many of those who appreared on "The Jack Benny Program" have passed away. This is hard to explain. Does it seem rather surreal to anybody else that Jack Benny and others carry on a dialogue (thanks to the miracle of recordings), yet they are deceased? Recordings make them seem alive, even though they aren't. They do and discuss stuff we take for granted, such as answering the door or telephone, or talk about doing things together (and maybe they did), but those voices are silent, except by hearing them via recordings. Maybe I am an "old softie," but the shows just transcend time and space. No, I am not on drugs or anything like that. Maybe it is because we are on the dawn of a new year. I am sorry I can't fully express what I am trying to write. I do know this: Happy New Year!

: ====================
: There is a gory little urban legend that the famous picture of Nipper listening to "His Master's Voice" was actually a picture of the dog and Victrola sitting on top of His Master's Casket. Not true, of course.

: I recently answered a list of questions for an interviewer that included one along the lines of, "Why does Jack Benny have an organized fan club so many years after his death?" I said, basically, that Jack Benny is as alive to us as he was for our parents and grandparents...he's a voice coming through a speaker or a face on the TV that makes us laugh. His corporeal state doesn't make us laugh any less. That we could all leave such legacies for the generations to come.

: --LL

Conway Twitty died in 1993 but i listen to his music nearly everyday and to me he's "alive". Elvis is alive to many of his fans. Jack Benny and Fred Allen are alive to me i was born in 1976! how wacky is that?? Legends never die...simply put.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]