Re: Jack's "Other" TV Closings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByMichael on January 01, 2004 at 02:40:06:

In Reply to: Re: Jack's "Other" TV Closings posted byScott D. Vroegindewey on December 31, 2003 at 18:27:19:

: You write:

: : Filmed cut-in commercials (usually for cigarettes) with sitcom casts were done with the Hillbiliies, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, and even the Flintstones.

: I remember watching Fred Flinstone settling himself down into an easy chair with a Winston Cigarette in his hand, or when the closing credits were seen, a (rock) billboard flashed Winston over the Bedrock skyline.

: Now to my question about radio. That is, in movies and TV, they use "product placement" to make a scene more realistic (sometimes they go overboard, in my opinion) with various items. Did such a thing happen in radio broadcasts? I am familiar with The Sportmen singing about Luckie Strike Cigarettes, but there are other times when Jack Benny uses other product names during his sketches. Was this intended as a radio version of product placement, incoporating the product names into a program? At least he does it in such a way that it seems natural unlike other shows where it appears, frankly, insulting to my intelligence. But, of course, I am biased, and I buy anything Jack Benny pushes, except cigarettes. I have a kitchen full of Canada Dry Ginger Ale, Jell-O and Grape Nuts to prove it!

Do you also have General Tires on your car then? :-)

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]