Re: "Casablanca"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on January 04, 2004 at 01:47:41:

In Reply to: Re: "Casablanca" posted byScott D. Vroegindewey on January 03, 2004 at 21:27:19:

: : : Yes, it was (and still IS), although Mary didn't play the "Ilsa" part....That role was played by Minerva Pious (who was a cast member of Jack's program that season...the season that Fred Allen took a year off from radio due to hypertension and his doctor's orders).

: >> Thanks for the correction. Maybe I just expected the woman to be Mary since Don made his basic introduction.

: : The first time I heard Minerva singing "As Time Goes By" (in her "Mrs. Nussbaum" voice and dialect), I completely LOST IT laughing! (Come to think of it, so did the studio audience from the sounds of things!)

: >> I guess that shows you Jack and Fred did get together planning shows with each other's cast members. I just heard the spoof of "Allen's Alley" (i.e., "Benny's Blvd.") in which, Mary plays Cleveland (instead of Portland), I think. And Jack puts a clothes pin on his nose to sound very much like the nasally Fred!

i have a vinyl album called "Fight of the Century" that i won't part with! has anyone ever heard of it before? Jack and Fred are on the cover in front of microphones. Fred's in a fighter's pose. the album cover opens up like a book and there's pictures and other information describing the feud. one picture shows Jack inside a boxing ring with his hand in the air as if he just won a round. there's a serious part on the album where Jack talks about Fred's death...you could hear a pin drop during his delivery. i bring up that album because on it there's two routines with each comedian spoofing each other's shows. Fred enlists the likes of Jimmy Durante, Tallulah Bankhead, Danny Thomas, and Portland in a spoof of Jack's show called "The Pinch Penny Program". This Allen skit came from a program called "The Big Show" that NBC aired from 6-7:30pm on Sunday nights opposite, most notably for us, Jack Benny at 7pm. this skit is cute and hilarious. Bankhead plays "Manchester" in the sketch. Jack's spoof is called "Clown Hall Tonight". i think Portland is referred to as "Seattle", Mary plays her. Dennis Day, i think, plays "Socrates Mulligan"...the dopey character played by Charlie Cantor...at one point in the skit Jack, with a nasal voice, boastfully chuckles: "oh, there i go again with another ad-lib...i'm an ad-libbing fool!". well, what i'm wanting to know is: has anyone ever heard of this vinyl album i tracked down and if so, what's it's value? i won't sell it...i'd just like to know for my own curiosity.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]