Re: An Odd Question (Observation)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on January 04, 2004 at 02:07:56:

In Reply to: Re: An Odd Question (Observation) posted byScott P. on January 03, 2004 at 22:42:49:

: Starting when I was about 13, I gradually figured out what more and more of the topical references meant. Such as the MANY mentions of "Petrillo" the head of the musician's union. And one time not that long ago, I looked up "Nick Kenny" because a simple reference to him (I believe by Fred Allen) got a huge laugh. But now I've forgotten what I found out. I'll have to look it up again sometime.
: Scott P.
: ===================

: " being a history and nostalgia buff, i know what was 'news' during his radio shows and i laugh right along with the audience even though the material is dated on Allen's show!"

i'll admit that some one-liners and ad-libbed comments from Fred i'll never understand but usually if he's satirizing entertainers or works of art, i enjoy them. he did a sketch where he spoofed Stanley and Livingston that to me is a stand-out because throughout the skit the phrase "Dr. Livingstone, i presume?" was muttered. somehow, the nonsequitur story twisted into a reference to Jack Benny and the skit concluded with Fred saying something like "so, tune in next week to Benny's show and get 30 minutes of comedy...i presume" and the audience howls with laughter.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]