Re: Jack's Ratings Slump

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on January 17, 2004 at 18:29:35:

In Reply to: Re: Jack's Ratings Slump posted byjerry4opry on January 17, 2004 at 06:02:32:

: i did some research and as Ed McMahon would say "your ARE correct, sir!!". not to take anything away from Bob Hope but i'd must rather WATCH him on a TV show or in a movie instead on the radio unless he's a guest on someone's show. His own shows were too military-driven and his jokes were mostly focused on local scenery that only the GI's would know of and so that's why i said that. However, i don't mind hearing Fred Allen at all. It must be his "connection" to Jack that makes me lean toward Fred than Bob in the topical humor department.

------------------------------------------

I consider myself to be a big Bob Hope fan, but some of those WWII broadcasts of his are just too specialized to suit me. When broadcasting from various army camps, Bob would mention the name of some local bar in his monologue and the entire audience of servicemen would let out with a loud roar of laughter and applause. I realize that this was great entertainment for our servicemen and women (who certainly deserved it), but many of those local and topical references are meaningless when heard today.

Personally, I prefer Bob's post-WWII broadcasts, when he was back in the radio studio and playing to the listeners again....those seem to hold up much better when heard today.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]