Re: Where was Jack Benny in 1920?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByPapa Mo on October 03, 2000 at 17:44:36:

In Reply to: Re: Where was Jack Benny in 1920? posted byJoe on October 02, 2000 at 22:55:21:

: : I was wondering if anyone knew where Jack Beny was
: : living in 1920? I've found him in the 1900 & 1910
: : federal census but haven't been able to find him in
: : 1920.

: : I'm glad this site exists, it's good to know that there
: : others who haven't forgotten the wonderful comedy that
: : Jack shared with the world. I just wish his shows were
: : still being broadcast, there's probably a whole
: : generation that has never heard about him. But if we
: : all band together and make some noise maybe some
: : broadcaster will wise up.

: : Thanks,
: : JB

: In the book "Sunday Nights At Seven" on page 17 it says that after the Armistice Jack went back to vauderville performing alone and eventually going on the Western Vauderville Circuit.It seems he did this into the twenties. Since being on the vauderville circuit meant going from city to city he may not have had a permanent residence in those years.
Here are additional ideas and facts, some of which you may have tried or already know: The census date in the latter 20th century has been April 1. I don't recall what date was used in 1920. As indicated,Jack was out of the navy and back on the vaudeville circuit, where he worked alone. He was using a variety of names such as Ben K Benny, Ben Benny, Ben Bennie - Jack Benny was not used til 192l. In 1920, he was having a romance with Leila Hyams, whose parents were stars of vaudeville; it lasted a year. Following the Orpheum Circuit, he appeared in many towns and cities (as already mentioned) such as Chicago, Springfield, Dallas, NYC, Philadelphia, etc. In Jan 1921 he was in NYC and also Vancouver,BC. He and Phil Baker followed each other around from town to town. Check and see where Gracie Allen was (although I believe it after 1920.) Best I can do off the top of my head. Hope this helps. Let us all know when you discover his location! Papa Mo

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]