Re: Theatre of the Mind

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on January 22, 2004 at 06:57:48:

In Reply to: Theatre of the Mind posted byjerry4opry on January 22, 2004 at 06:21:36:

: yesterday i heard "Burns and Allen" on an NPR show called Theatre of the Mind. on this episode, Jack was on it and he and George were to be gypsies. Mel Blanc, ironically, wasn't his usual "Happy Postman" character. instead, he was "Professor LeBlanc" and the two actually opened the show doing a gag about the professor wanting his money for the lesson. why i bring this up is: is it just me or did any comedy show that Jack made an appearance on seem to take the shape of his own show? "Burns and Allen" for whatever reason always sounded like Jack's show with THEM as guests if that made any sense. i guess it has to do with fewer "Gracie jokes" if Jack happens to be the guest because there's definitely a difference in ANYONE's comedy show when Jack made an appearance!? was this intentional from the individual show's writers or did Jack simply 'steal the show' because he was just so popular and hilarious? i like to think it was because of the latter.

------------------------------------

Yes, I agree...Just about any comedy or variety show that Jack guested on seemed to "take the shape" of his own program. Jack was almost always featured as his radio "character" (stingy, hammy, etc.) and elements of the Benny program (the vault, the violin lessons, the Maxwell, etc.) would be heard (or at least referred to) on these other programs.

Remember that Jack's show was extremely popular during this time and having Jack Benny guest star on another show was really a big deal for that show's listenership. The show's stars (be it Eddie Cantor, Burns & Allen, Bing Crosby, Amos N' Andy or WHOEVER) certainly wanted to take advantage of Jack's popularity and be linked with it...even if it was only for one night.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]