Re: Dennis Day's replacement ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on January 22, 2004 at 19:06:17:

In Reply to: Re: Dennis Day's replacement ? posted byGerry O. on January 22, 2004 at 06:44:10:

: In Fred Allen's autobiography "Treadmill To Oblivion", he tells of how his first radio series (1932's "The Linit Bath Club Revue") featured musical interludes of depressing-sounding organ music by organist Ann Leaf. Fred said that this type of music was really out of place on a comedy program, but was featured simply because the sponsor's wife liked organ music!

: It's lucky for all of us that the American Tobacco Company decided to carry Don Wilson over from the Grape-Nuts Flakes series. I've heard recordings where Jack's show is broadcast from New York City and for one reason or another Don didn't make the trip. His announcing duties are taken over by some very capable announcers (Harry Von Zell, Kenny Delmar, etc.)...but it just doesn't seem right without Don bellowing out the cast members' names!

:---------------------

i couldn't imagine Don Wilson NOT being Jack's announcer even though there were times when Don wasn't there. on one of the episodes i've got, Abe Lyman is the bandleader and not Phil Harris. does anyone know why the Lyman character was written so mean right off the bat? He says something like: "look, you might be Buck Benny but you're not going to ride me" or something like that...i just thought it was odd having a "new" character on the show be so mouthy too soon.

in the book Robert Taylor wrote about Fred Allen that i've got (1989) it relates similar problems Fred had with sponsors. it does make me kind of sick that a sponsor or an advertising company that has no idea of talent or comedy whatsoever could have the final say on something that a professional writer or comedian might object to...in Fred's case it was the organ music and censorship among other things.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]