Abe Lyman

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on January 22, 2004 at 19:41:49:

In Reply to: Re: Dennis Day's replacement ? posted byjerry4opry on January 22, 2004 at 19:06:17:

: i couldn't imagine Don Wilson NOT being Jack's announcer even though there were times when Don wasn't there. on one of the episodes i've got, Abe Lyman is the bandleader and not Phil Harris. does anyone know why the Lyman character was written so mean right off the bat? He says something like: "look, you might be Buck Benny but you're not going to ride me" or something like that...i just thought it was odd having a "new" character on the show be so mouthy too soon.

--------------------------------------

Actually, Abe Lyman had appeared on Jack's program off and on for several seasons during the 1930's as a "guest" orchestra leader. He usually filled in for Phil Harris when Jack would do his program "on the road" and Phil had to stay in Hollywood (probably because of film or nightclub commitments....Phil was appearing in "B" musical films as early as the mid-1930's). So when you heard Abe Lyman on that Benny broadcast, he probably wasn't considered a "new" character, but rather a "returning" one.

Part of the on-air comedy relationship that Jack had with Abe was that Abe was supposed to be a tough, illiterate bully...and Jack was really SCARED of getting beat up by him!

As much as Phil Harris would insult Jack, somehow you could never imagine "Big Teddy Bear" Phil actually HITTING him...but it was obvious that Abe Lyman wouldn't hesitate to punch Jack's lights out if Jack made him mad!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]