Re: You naaaaasty bandleader

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByMichael on January 22, 2004 at 21:53:08:

In Reply to: You naaaaasty bandleader posted byLL on January 22, 2004 at 20:12:43:

: : i couldn't imagine Don Wilson NOT being Jack's announcer even though there were times when Don wasn't there. on one of the episodes i've got, Abe Lyman is the bandleader and not Phil Harris. does anyone know why the Lyman character was written so mean right off the bat? He says something like: "look, you might be Buck Benny but you're not going to ride me" or something like that...i just thought it was odd having a "new" character on the show be so mouthy too soon.
: ========================

: This is a guess on my part, but the bandleaders on the show had a history of aggressive or otherwise anti-social behaviour towards Jack. Frank Black was openly hostile towards him, even challenging him to a duel at one point. Don Bestor's character was introduced as a high-brow intellectual, using large words and generally acting snobbish and superior. When Phil was introduced, after about a month of him being quiet and demure, the writers ramped up the hostilities between the two of them, with Jack angry about Phil being popular with the ladies and frequently late to the program.

: So I'd say that Lyman was more just one in a line of such bandleaders who were at odds with Jack. Don't know yet about any problems with George Olsen or Ted Weems...ask me in a couple months and I'll let you know.

: --LL

I was thinking that it wou;dn't have made sense for George Wilson to have been nasty to Jack... of course when he was the band leader it seems no one was even close to the characters we all know

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]