Re: John Tackaberry

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByStace Tackaberry on July 21, 2001 at 20:02:05:

In Reply to: Re: John Tackaberry posted bybill on July 06, 2001 at 15:17:12:

: : There appears to be a lack of information about my father and Benny writer, John Tackaberry. i would be happy to answer any (almost) questions or respond to any comments any one might have.
: Dear Stace: First, much appreciation in recognition of your father for helping provide so many of us such timeless and seemingly boundless entertainment. Just how did your Dad "break into" the creative mindtrust responsible for the Jack Benny Program?

Dear Bill,

Thanks for the kind note of appreciation for my father.

Well!! On my 22 Feb. 1942 birth certificate (not the one the hospital gives the parents, but the official one registered with the county)it states that my father was an "unemployed used car salesman". This was in Houston, Texas. By mid 1943 my family lived in Southern California and he was
was a Benny writer. Quite a segue in a year and a quarter!! My parents were in a beer bar in Houston (I assume during my father's unemployed period) when an announcement came on the radio that a travelling Big Band Show (the Horace Heidt Show) was coming to Houston and in need of a comedy script and they would pay $100 for it. My Mother, who was probably at the time worried about our financial situation, suggested that my Father submit one. After all, he had been the editor of the University of Texas Law School newspaper prior to his having droped out as a result of the Depression. Well, they loved the script and he was hired as a regular. Soon afterward it became logistically difficult to submit the scripts from Houston to a show based in Los Angeles. So, the family moved to L.A. Sometime after the move my Father heard about the Benny opportunity, submitted a script and the rest is history.

All the best,

Stace Tackaberry

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]