Re: What's the Story with Jello "Freezing Mix"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on January 25, 2004 at 07:15:39:

In Reply to: What's the Story with Jello "Freezing Mix"? posted byMichael on January 25, 2004 at 06:49:06:

: At the end of the 5/15/38 show Don makes mention of Jello freezing mix and how one could make ice cream with it. When did they stop making this (it's not something I've ever heard of before now)? And if anyone out there has tried this... what was the resulting ice cream like?

----------------------------------------------

I don't know what the final results were like, but it does seem like the freezing mix wasn't around very long. It's plugged for a while around 1938, but then you don't hear much about it.
Apparently it was supposed to be an "easy" way to make homemade ice cream, because the commercials stress the fact that you don't have the long periods of exhausting hand-cranking.

If the freezing mix WAS a commercial failure, maybe it had nothing to do with the quality of the product itself....During this time consumers were really getting into the idea of easily buying ready-made products in a store that they USED to have to make at home (bread, etc.)...so even if the freezing mix WAS easier than old-fashioned hand-cranking, the average consumer probably just wanted to take the easiest way out and buy their ice cream in a store, and not have to worry about making it at home at all....Just a guess on my part!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]