Re: NBC or CBS?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on January 25, 2004 at 22:31:49:

In Reply to: NBC or CBS? posted byScott D. Vroegindewey on January 25, 2004 at 21:21:59:

: Did Jack ever indicate which network -- NBC or CBS -- he liked working for the best in terms of allowing for creative work, material, music, etc.? I think not since he was a gentleman. Thanks.
================
An interesting question, and one that probably changed over time. I would think that the sponsor probably had more control over the creative latitude, etc. of the show, so that would have had more effect than the network. Jack was employed directly until Amusement Enterprises was created (thanks to the business guidance of Lew Wasserman), which was then subsequently purchased by CBS. Jack brought several crew members as well as the cast from NBC to CBS, so he was working with a lot of the same people after the switch.

However by the end of the CBS run on television, we discussed here some time ago the rather rough way he was dismissed, much to the distress of Bill Paley. Jack then spent the last season of the TV show on NBC. However, I think his decreasing enthusiasm for the show was a combination of factors other than the network: age, increased interest in symphony performances, decrease in the overall consistency and quality of material, etc. Heck, he'd been doing a weekly show for 32 years by then!

And, of course, there's the story about John Cahill (the lawyer who abused Jack during his smuggling trial) showing up to the NBC negotiations to keep Jack's radio show rather than have him switch to CBS. I'm sure Jack liked NBC then about as much he liked CBS when Keefe Brasselle said something like, "You're through, old man!"

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]