Re: Jack The Ad-Libber

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on January 29, 2004 at 11:57:37:

In Reply to: Jack The Ad-Libber posted byGerry O. on January 29, 2004 at 08:08:12:

: It's during these "flubbed line" moments (flubbed by either a fellow cast member or by Jack himself) where you can really get a sense of Jack's excellent ad-libbing talents.

: Writers and cast members alike have insisted that these flubbed moments were NEVER planned or pre-arranged, and Jack's responses were NEVER "canned" and they always fit that specific moment (unlike Red Skelton's "stock" responses to mistakes: "We're gonna MISS you around here", etc.)

: While a comedian like Fred Allen had the reputation of being quick-witted and a skilled ad-libber, Jack did a great job of handling and responding to mistakes and other unplanned moments himself.
========================
In that same vein, I just finished uploading the "In Memoriam" page for my friend and fan club member Charlie Willer. During our Waukegan recreation, Jack has an exchange early on with Don where he says that in his new contract he's working "from word to word...I can fire you between L-S and M-F-T."

Then in the skit, Phil calls for a 21-gun salute. This was one of the few sound effects we had recorded, and Charlie punched it up. Unfortunately, out came "Rule Brittania" instead! Eddie Carroll as Jack turned and said, "That's the strangest salute I ever heard! Now you're working from sound effect to sound effect!" We all broke up.

It was so completely in keeping with the spirit of these fluffs in the Benny show that a number of people thought that it was planned and intentional. I assure you that it wasn't!

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]