Re: The Blue Fairy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on February 12, 2004 at 01:23:41:

In Reply to: Re: The Blue Fairy posted byBobR on February 11, 2004 at 21:47:13:

: : I've been asked a lot of times about who played the Blue Fairy. Although I haven't checked it in the script yet, based on my current research I'm pretty well convinced that it is Mary Kelly.

: : --LL

: :I have never found the blue fairy portion of the show very funny,somewhat corny.What do others think?
==============
For the curious, I have so far found the character on the following shows: 3/31/40, 4/7/40, 10/6/40, 10/27/40.

Speaking as a woman who is nicely upholstered (but not overly so), I have a problem with "fat woman" jokes. In American society, men can be heavy-set and still accepted and successful. Heavier women have a much harder time of it. So the Don jokes aren't in quite the same category, and the fact that you can hear Don laughing at many of them softens the impact. However, the barrage of jokes about the Blue Fairy's weight gets very tiresome to me. Also knowing that Mary Kelly had been much slimmer in past years, but an abusive marriage, hard times and general despair had led to her weight increase...well, it just isn't that funny to me.

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]