Re: The Blue Fairy and Political Incorrectness

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByUK Pete on February 12, 2004 at 15:06:24:

In Reply to: Re: The Blue Fairy and Political Incorrectness posted byLL on February 12, 2004 at 14:29:58:

: : P.S.: Think of how Jack musta felt having Known her past form and her current situation.

: ====================
: I was quite struck by the parts played in "Intermezzo", with Jack being married to Mary Liv but in love with his accompanist, Mary Kelly. When Mary Kelly leaves Jack for another man, Jack is distraught until his wife comes and bolsters him.

: In real life, Mary Kelly left Jack for another man (before Jack and Mary Liv were married, of course), and Jack ends up going back to Mary Liv eventually and marrying her. Not absolutely the same, but similar enough to make one go "hmm".

: There's always been a lot of talk about perspectives that Rochester wasn't a racist character or stereotype, etc. Members of the IJBFC usually side with the perspective that Rochester was Jack's equal, not at all degrading, etc.

: However, I've found many references in the 1930s shows that make me cringe with today's perspective. In the Yosemite shows, the gang is going to sleep in the car and Jack says, "Rochester, where are you?" Roch answers, "I'm right here next to you, Boss." Jack says, "Well, open your eyes or smile so I can see you!"

: Jack is driving home on another show, and someone suggests that he park the Maxwell in the garage. Jack says that Rochester has three cousins living in the garage. Some discussion ensues about what to do, and Jack says something like, "If I can't get them out, I may as well plant cotton in the back yard."

: Granted, these racial jokes tended to go out in 1943 when the writing staff changed. And yes, it was a different time. But it still makes you think.

: --LL
I think we should all be a lot less concerned about Political Correctness in humor.Over here in the UK, Political Correctness itself is largely regarded as a joke these days. A few years back there was a very popular program aired on TV over here called "Till Death Us Do Part". It's main character was a racist bigot and week after week racial monorities were mercilessly pilloried by him especially the Irish. Well, my father was Irish and I can assure you that no one laughed louder than him at these "slurs" and that's the whole point.......it's humor we're talking about here.It's just designed to make us laugh and if we can forget all the PC propaganda we've been fed over the years that's exactly what we'll do.If we could all just learn to relax and simply laugh, there'd be a lot less ulcers around.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]