Jell-O cookbook mystery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on February 12, 2004 at 20:44:32:

Here's something I should know myself, but I don't. So maybe one of you has an idea...

My copy of "Jack and Mary's Jell-O Cookbook" is dated 1937, and the pictures of Mary are pre-nose job. However, the opening commercial of the December 15, 1940 show says that they've never before offered a Jell-O cookbook and promote their "Calendar of Desserts" cookbook.

There are a few shows missing from 1937, but no two on consecutive Sundays. I find it difficult to believe that something like the "Jack and Mary" cookbook would be promoted on one "lost" show and then never mentioned again. Also, I find it puzzling that it would be explicitly said three years later that no cookbook had ever been offered. The back of the "Jack and Mary" cookbook has an ad for Jack's show, so why not cross-promote?

The only thing I can think is that the "Jack and Mary" cookbook was released without ever being mentioned on the air (for whatever strange reason), and Don's comment that they'd never offered a cookbook referred strictly to on-air mention. Does anyone have any more clues to this puzzle?

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]