Re: The Blue Fairy and Political Incorrectness

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on February 13, 2004 at 22:40:02:

In Reply to: Re: The Blue Fairy and Political Incorrectness posted byScott D. Vroegindewey on February 13, 2004 at 19:31:03:

In the Marcia Barie book about Jack [p. 78], it explains how some Southern visitors objected to the fact Rochester staying at the same hotel they were. The issue was taken care of -- Rochester would check out the following morning -- along with 44 others of Jack's party!

it also shows that Eddie Anderson didn't mind his "role" on the show because after all, it was only a role...it in no way translated into reality. i had heard stories like that and i think because Jack was Jewish, he personally felt the negativity of racism that some people shown toward Eddie. i've often heard that Jack was so against the racism that went on, he'd often stay in lower rated hotels or whatever if the high class places refused 'Rochester'...knowing this about Jack and knowing how involved he was in his scripts, doesn't make me frown on the racial jokes early in the show because that's what they were...jokes...nothing to be taken seriously because of Jack's stand on racism and other social and religious bigotry in real-life. once again we have a situation where the real Jack Benny gets lost in the public persona.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]