Speaking Of Sponsors.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on February 14, 2004 at 22:54:04:

In Reply to: Re: More on Jell-O Ice Cream posted byLL on February 14, 2004 at 21:40:49:

: : Until Jack came along, I read Jell-O was not a popular product, and, maybe, its "marketmeisters" did not know how to sell its product successfully? D---it Jim (Laura), I'm a social worker, not an ad man! :)

: ================

: :) It's true that Jell-O was one of the "second tier" products of General Foods, as the gelatin market was locked up by the school of hard Knox. Jack changed that inside of a year!

: --LL

: P.S. I have a very cute ad from the teens that shows a guy running like crazy to save a box of Jell-O that had fallen on train tracks, with the train puffing towards it in the background.

-----------------------------

I know that Jack Benny really turned the fortunes of Jell-O around (for the better), and that Lucky Strike was already a solid, popular brand of cigarettes when Luckies took over as Jack's sponsor....but what about Grape-Nuts Flakes?

Does anyone know if Jack's program gave Grape-Nuts Flakes a significant boost in sales and popularity?
The idea of a radio program touting a SPECIFIC breakfast cereal is kind of unusual in itself...In later years, most radio and TV shows would be sponsored by the cereal COMPANY (Post, Kellogg's, General Mills, etc.), and feature different commercials for a VARIETY of the sponsor's cereals instead of just one specific cereal.

So does anyone have any info on how effective the Benny program was in getting people to buy and eat Grape-Nuts Flakes?

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]