This Tells Us Even MORE About JACK!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on February 20, 2004 at 07:13:02:

In Reply to: And MORE on Harry Conn posted byLL on February 19, 2004 at 22:56:36:

: The last script I put my hands on today was the last show of the 1935-36 season. I had heard it already and knew the ending (and my eyes about bugged out when I first heard it), but find that there are several rewrites of the ending for both coasts.

: But all of them have this in common...Jack thanks Harry Conn for his work with the show, and also acknowledges Ed Beloin and Bill Morrow for stepping in "during Mr. Conn's illness."

: Regardless of the circumstances of Conn's leaving, it's clear that Jack recognized his importance and shortly thereafter seemed to hold no malice towards him. Now THERE'S a man!

: --LL

-------------------------------

Yes, the more that I hear and read about Jack, the more I'm convinced that the man was truly a "class act", both personally and professionally.

During the years there were people who didn't do right by Jack, but he always seemed able to say, "Oh, well..." and move on. In fact, the only time that I know of where Jack's personal anger/resentment influenced an important business decision was when NBC hired the prosecuting attorney in the Benny-Burns smuggling case to be involved in Jack's contract negotiations...and even THEN, Jack graciously thanked and praised NBC on his last radio show for that network, and years later he ended up returning to NBC for his final season of half-hour TV shows, as well as his excellent series of hour-long color specials.

As I've mentioned before, celebrities (both young and elderly) pass away all the time....but I don't ever remember show business celebrities as a group being as distraught and grieving the way that they were when Jack passed away....That told me a LOT about what people who knew Jack thought about him.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]