Re: Interesting Discussion on Rochester

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByFrev on February 21, 2004 at 07:34:13:

In Reply to: Re: Interesting Discussion on Rochester posted byjerry4opry on February 20, 2004 at 05:53:47:

: If anyone is intolerant today, it's those who push 'politcal correctness'.

: so true! while they're out putting their nose where it don't belong thinking what they do is actually helpful, THEY are the ones who've become annoying and intolerable as a result because they don't know when to lighten up and realize the difference between ethnic humor and blatant, mean-spirited racism or sexism, whatever the case may be...yet they group ANYTHING with a stereotype as "bad" or "offensive" and they can't see or don't care that they're offensive to someone like me who doesn't need to be told what i can laugh at...

Hmmm, looks like I started something here. Good to have a discussion on this topic.

As I've stated before, I absolutely LOATH political correctness. It all comes down to simple common sense. If something is funny, it's funny. If it's funny but demeaning, that's where the common sense comes in. While by today's standards the stereotypes in Amos 'n' Andy maybe offensive, if you take the show and the characters on their own merits, the show is quite funny and the characters are very loveable. The annual Amos 'n' Andy Christmas show was a great tradition with the character of Amos explaining the Lord's Prayer to his little daughter. Such a shame that such a lovely moment on it's own would be considered 'politically incorrect' today.

Even Don Wilson laughed at the fat jokes because he knew they were just that, jokes, and the affection the Benny cast had for each other was so crystal clear. You knew there wasn't a mean-spirited bone in the bunch.

I don't want to or need to be told what's funny and what's not funny by a bunch of humorless busybodies who have too much time on their hands. If I want to laugh, consarn it, I'll laugh! (Sorry for the coarse language folks, but dagnab it, sometimes my ire goes all a twitchy!)

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]