Re: Biography Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on February 24, 2004 at 08:52:24:

In Reply to: Biography Question posted byUK Pete on February 24, 2004 at 07:51:01:

It's only my opinion, but among the various "insider" biographies of Jack that were written after his death, I consider Irving Fein's book to be the weakest. For a book written by someone who was Jack's manager for so many years, there just doesn't seem to be much "meaty" substance there.

I remember that years ago (shortly after Jack's death), Merv Griffin had one of his famous "theme" programs on his talk show....and the theme was Jack Benny.
Milt Josefsberg's book on Jack had just been published, and apparently that was the main inspiration for this "theme" show.

Merv had Josefsberg on as a guest, along with several members of Jack's old gang. At one point Phil Harris started praising the Josefsberg book, and then said, "There's ANOTHER book out about Jack, written by somebody else, but don't bother with THAT one....THIS is the one that you ought to read!".
As Fein's biography was the only other major book on Jack published at that time, it HAD to be the inferior work that Phil was referring to.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]