Re: Books

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on February 26, 2004 at 03:23:25:

In Reply to: Re: Books posted byUK Pete on February 25, 2004 at 10:19:46:

: After finishing the Irving Fein book I have to say I've largely revised my opinion. I've enjoyed this further insight into Jacks life and it's obviously written with affection for Jack. Overall though I preferred the more intimate biog. of Joan Benny.
=======================
I think one of the most compelling arguments for Irving's book is for people looking to understand the business workings of the Benny show. The business end of things was Irving's forte, and I have freqently used the book for reference when trying to find out exactly when Amusement Enterprises or J&M Productions was created, sold, etc. If you're looking for "Jack the man", read Milt's book or Jack's own autobiography, as you mentioned.
========================
It's difficult getting hold of these out of print books but I will look out for the Milt Josefsberg one and the George Burns book.
========================
Try www.addall.com/used. I have no connection with them, just a very satisfied customer.
=======================
: Just one further questin. Irving Fein states that Babe never appeared in the radio shows. Is that correct? There were a few shows that Babe was supposed to be on but was the part played by an actress?
========================
I have yet to confirm this with "the ultimate authority" (that being the scripts), but it's my understanding that Babe played herself on the show. What I can definitively tell you is that I've found Babe in at least one minor one-liner role prior to her ever appearing as herself. Hilliard Marks also played several of those minor one-liner roles in the 30s and early 40s. Stay tuned for volume 1 of the overhauled log for more information.

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]